Friday, April 13, 2012

Symphogear Manga Chapter 1

I finished translating the first chapter of the manga. It was only 32 pages, but it took quite a while because of the large amount of dialog and technical jargon. Unfortunately I don't have any raws for the next chapters, but the first volume of the manga is tentatively set for release in May. I'll be buying it, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to scan it or not. Hopefully some raws pop up around that time so I can continue.







Download chapter 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?nuxx0t5hhczb21d

I don't have much to say about this beyond the fact that I am not a professional translator and I did take some  small liberties when writing the dialog. I don't think it's perfect, but it's definitely accurate and easy to read. I tried hard to capture the character's personalities, since Kanade has a very loose way of speaking in Japanese and Tsubasa is much more polite and uptight (as befitting their characters). Overall I think the manga is very interesting since it supplements the anime quite well. This chapter takes place before the anime so we get to see a little of the politics that Division 2 had to deal with and also learn a bit more about how Kanade feels doing her job as a solider. This chapter also features an appearance by Minister Hiroki who was killed by the Americans working under Fine during the anime. We also learn a bit more about the technical side of the Symphogear and how it functions as an offensive and defensive weapon. Ryoko explains a lot more than what was said in the anime, and it all matches up with the information that's on the official site.

Anyway, please use the comments if you have anything to say or hit me up on twitter @zoid9000


Edit: Noticed a mistranslation on page 1. The guy in sunglasses isn't actually talking about the relics, he's talking about the tanks. He was using a word meaning "old-type" and I assumed he was referring to the relics that they use for the Symphogear system. I belatedly realized that he was more likely talking about the tanks that the girls had destroyed as part of the demonstration.

1 comment: